Monday, May 5, 2008

Ground squirrels vs predator

We have ground squirrels in our backyard. Thay are not as cute as normal squirrels. Besides they are stubborn and can eat almost everything in your garden. I don't care much since we rent the place but I don't like them for gnawing the bark of a lemon tree (quel sacrilege !) and destroying the grass and other ground covers that I try to grow. They also carry parasites and diseases. True pests! But the babies are so cute! Have a look yourself!

3 ground squirrel babies with mom

it is my favourite picture, oh so cute!

ground squirrel siblings

cute little ground squirrel


They have many predators (though not enough to control their population). One of them is a rattlesnake. The adult squirrels are immune to the bites and are not much afraid of rattlesnakes. They are mostly after the small ones. Since there are a lot of babies around now, it was not a surprise for me to find a rattlesnake in the garden. I knew it at once that there was a snake when I saw two flagtailing adult squirrels behind the house. It is a common behavior to scare a snake away. It consists of pointing at a snake, much like hunting dogs do, and bit their tailes, like angry cats. Sorry, the picture is blurred, I could't come closer without scaring them away. You may hint the snake in the bush. It is the same one at the other picture. It is quite reassuring to know that a mean reptile will not sneak in the garden without been seen!


rattlesnake


No comments: